Understanding your health better
Maintaining glucose levels within the normal range is vitally important for good health.
Glucose, also known as blood sugar, Is the main source of energy used by the body.
The SureSlim Eating Plan helps control the natural production of insulin and this in turn regulates the amount of glucose in the blood.
Insulin is a hormone that helps the body control the amount of glucose in the blood. It is produced in the pancreas and released into the blood when the level of glucose in the blood rises.
Other interesting facts relating to glucose:
· It belongs to the group of foods known as carbohydrates which include sugar and starch.
· It can be absorbed directly into the blood because it has a simple chemical structure.
· It is the main source of fuel for all the body’s functions.
· Glucose levels always rise after a meal containing carbohydrates because it is the end
product of carbohydrate digestion.
· These levels return to normal as the glucose is used up or stored.
· Our bodies maintain the ideal level of glucose by storing extra glucose in the liver as
glycogen so that it can be released when the levels drop.
· Excess glucose may be converted into fat if the “storage area” is full.
· Diabetes Mellitus occurs when the amount of glucose in the blood remains abnormally high
either because of insufficient insulin, or failure of the cells between the blood vessels and
the body to respond to insulin.
· The human body needs blood glucose levels to be maintained in a narrow range, and
excessively low levels (hypoglycemia) may rapidly lead to mental confusion and
· Hyperglycemia occurs when there is too much glucose in the blood and is a contributing
factor to the high incidence of strokes and heart disease.
· “Blood sugar level” in fact refers to the amount of glucose in the blood.
Some ways to maintain normal glucose levels:
· Stay fit and healthy by exercising properly.
· Eat low glycemic foods. These contain fibre and are digested more slowly in the body with
less rapid release of glucose.
· Reduce the intake of high glycemic foods. These are often refined foods with much of the
· Avoid driking commercial fruit juices and canned fizzy drinks, which tend to be loaded with
The SureSlim program has been specifically designed to maintain balanced glucose levels.